Quality Bulkhead Steps Construction + Professional Installation = Long-lasting Performance
Bulkhead steps are precast concrete staircases that allow for basement access. Since bulkhead installation requires skill and precision to ensure a watertight seal, very few precast concrete manufacturers offer bulkheads.
The experienced team at A.J. Foss provides quality bulkheads for clients throughout New Hampshire, Maine and Northern Massachusetts. Each set of A.J. Foss-crafted bulkhead steps is professionally installed to ensure maximum and long-lasting performance.
Available in industry standard sizes A.J. Foss-crafted bulkhead steps are available in standard industry types A, B, S, C, and D, to fit the appropriate elevation requirements. Our bulkhead steps are sized to fit any bulkhead doors manufactured by The Bilco Company or Gordon Corporation.
Properly Installed Bulkhead Steps Ensure Success
The bulkhead steps are fastened to your foundation using threaded rods, and then bolted with nuts and plates to secure them to the foundation. When the bolts are tightened, gaskets are placed between the pieces to create a seal that is watertight – as long as the appropriate grading and drainage requirements have been met. For example, roof drainage must be diverted away from the bulkhead opening; perimeter drainage must be properly installed; the top of the concrete casting must be at least 2 inches above grade; and the grade around the bulkhead must slope away from the building’s foundation.
Installation Requirements for Warranty of Bulkhead
- Foundation sealer must be kept a minimum of 12-inches from bulkhead opening
- Pour a minimum 11-1/2-inch step in bulkhead opening
- Bulkhead opening must be kept a minimum 18-inches from a corner
- Roof drainage must be diverted away from the bulkhead opening
- Properly installed perimeter drainage to daylight
- Backfill must be clean, well-compacted gravel
- Top of concrete casting must be a minimum of 2-inches above grade. Grade around bulkhead must slope away from foundation.
Contact us to discuss your projects throughout New Hampshire, Maine and Northern Massachusetts that require precast concrete bulkhead steps, and discover the A.J. Foss difference for yourself.